12 November, 2020

Hundreds and Thousands Slice

Most of us have favourite food memories from childhood. It's amazing how those memories stick with you. I love it that many of the sweet recipes I make have connections to various people who've been in my life over the years.

This is a recipe that my mum frequently made. I haven't made it so often over the years because coconut isn't the easiest product to source in Japan, but I've got some at the moment (thanks to iHerb), so I made these on the weekend. Yum!

Ingredients

½ cup (120g) butter
1 cup (210g) brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup (130g) SR flour (For non-Aussies, this is self raising flour and has baking powder included in it, very convenient!) If you arent' in Australia, just add a teaspoon of baking powder as well as the flour. For my Japan-based friends, I used "medium flour" or 中力小麦粉.
½ cup (50g) desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons of cocoa (20 ml spoons)
dash of vanilla essence

Icing
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup (130g) icing sugar 
3 (15g) teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon boiling water
hundreds and thousands

Method

1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg.
3. Add flour, coconut, cocoa, and vanilla.
4. Mix well (semi-dry mixture).
5. Spread evenly into a greased/baking paper-lined tin. I used a 23cm x 23cm tin.
6. Cook in a moderate oven for 20 minutes (about 170 or 180˚C depending on how fast your oven is).
7. Just before it finishes baking, mix icing ingredients together (except hundreds and thousands).
8. Ice while hot. Sprinkle hundreds and thousands on top.
9. Cut into squares when cold.

No comments: