22 July, 2011

Mutually satisfying activities

Today is the last official contact with school that any of our kids will have until the 25th of August. We've done six weeks of holidays, five weeks to go. The "bored" end of holidays. The good news is that my husband turns his last assignment in for his first semester subject today. So we have his full attention for a little while (before he starts the ramp up to starting a new school year).

But I wanted to tell you some more detail about the sewing we've been doing. On a whim, I picked up this book at the library when we were checking out our summer books.

Truly, it was wishful thinking. I really didn't think that we'd end up using the book . . . but it has proved to be unexpectedly useful these last couple of days. This is a really well put together book. Not just sewing projects, but a whole package – teaching kids the technical things about sewing (including machine part names) intermingled with fun and ending in some fun projects. I haven't majored on teaching them much about the technical stuff, but they have enjoyed some of the cool activities like mazes, puzzles and paths to follow with the machine. (So thankful that when we bought a new printer last year, we bought one that could photocopy too!)
 
These two pages are done with the sewing machine. Even my 6 y.o. was able to do the "mountain climbing" with an unthreaded machine.

It has non-sewing machine activities like word searches and cross words too.

And I've made progress on a pair of shorts for our most needy child. Unfortunately the only pattern I have is size 12 women's. But shorts are shorts, right? All I have to do it cut them down a little bit. We're not aiming for beautiful here, just functional. 

While I cannot do as much writing, editing or email composition like I normally do when they're at school, I can do a manual activity like sewing. They like it that I'm there with them. I like it that what I'm doing is not being interrupted constantly because it doesn't take as much thought. Ah, mutual satisfaction.

Next week: camping! Hopefully another mutually satisfying activity.

 


No comments: